Sunday 21 August 2011

The model

Here are two of four frames i made to set the concrete in. They are relatively simple.
In this case these two peices would be the blach peices.

These two frames are for the white keys. The frames were then supported with a plank a the bottom to hold the concrete.

These frames were all made in the wood workshop with some help from the staff.

The staff then advised me to coat the frames with some sort of water resistant substance, so that the wooden frame does not absorb the concrete and end up deforming the shape.

So I went to the pharmacy in the quad and managed to buy the last couple of tubs of vaseline.

I was allowed to set the mould in the spray paint area outside the workshop. Since it was the first time I used concrete, I was unsure of the suitable about of cement and water ratio to use. When i poured the mix, i would fill it half way and place a wire meshing in the middle to strenghten it. Nevertheless with less than two days until the crit placed my mould and hoped it would dry in time.


The second set of moulds.

Whilst i was working on the concrete, a worker around the area gave me some handy tips about concrete. He said that I should splash water on the mould once in a while so that the block doesnt crack whilst drying.

I initially thought that applying to the concrete would make it dry faster, but the worker and the wood shop staff advised that it is a chemical reaction, and that heat may cause an explosion.

Unfortunately, for these two blocks both peices were 40mm too long. So it had to be cut, so i tried applying heaps of water but it inevitably failed.

The same worker who gave me the advice said that he would cut the block with his diamond cutter. And thanks to him, the job was done in a matter of seconds.


THE BOX

I made a wooden box to present my model. Since its going to be filled with water and also hold the concrete blocks, it had to be stable and solid.
However the wood was very weak under water, so i had to insulate it somehow.

Firstly i covered the entire interior with plasice, and in the corners i used tile cement and filled the gaps in. Lastly i spray painted the interior with white to give it a finsh.


No comments:

Post a Comment